In the their latest progress report to MREAP over Q4 2013, we were excited to hear about all of the activities of CEDP team in Malawi .
The development officers based in Malawi; Blessings, Mavuto and Sithembile, have been busy recently expanding renewable energy use in rural Malawi. Projects have included distributing cookstoves and solar lanterns as well as providing guidance and training to local people regarding the benefits of renewable energy.
In North Malawi
The following key activities were carried out are:
- Project progress briefing to District Executive Committee members and communities
- Various project management training events which included; dynamic leadership skills, renewable energy technologies – application and sustainability and Village savings loans
- Helping communities filling both small and full grant application forms
- Learning Journeys where communities travel to existing RETs to appreciate and learn more on what their fellow communities are doing to sustain the systems.
- Tendering process. Quotations were sourced from 3 suppliers of renewable energy systems and installers.
In Southern Malawi
Work has been focused on training and solar PV installations. Many communities are now benefiting with lighting for key community buildings as well as phone charging operations and barber shops. Training sessions have been carried out to help local people learn about the benefits and types of renewable energy available.
In Central Malawi
From June-December, 2013 the following activities have been implemented in Central region working area of CEDP covering the following districts; Balaka, Lilongwe, Ntchisi, and Dowa. The activities include;
- District Environment Sub committee meetings in district councils
- Cook stoves awareness campaigns
- Cook stove production, and firing training
- Renewable energy training
- Village Savings and Loans and Business Management training
- Community Based Organization (CBO) Management training
- Leadership training
- Working with CBO’s in small grants applications
- Tendering of CEDP projects: Identification of contractors to install systems
- Meetings with different Scottish delegates
- Grant applications and processing
- Monitoring of improved cook stoves production: Quality control checks
- Solar lanterns demonstrations in communities