The latest MREAP Programme Steering Group Meeting was held on April 2nd 2014 in Blantyre Malawi.
There were several objectives of this PSG:
- Presentation of learning achieved over the last 2+ years from partners
- Discussion and comments on learning
- Presentation of activities for 2014/15
All strands of MREAP were represented and discussed. Some highlights from the Strategic Energy Partners included:
- Mzuzu University (Chrispin Gogoda) – Biogas projects (11 in total) 90% complete with digester feeding underway and minor piping works. In addition to the construction of the digesters, Mzuzu has trained 9 local builders and 1 plumber to construct digesters, thereby supporting maintenance of installed digesters as well as enabling the market for future digesters.
- MuREA (Moffat Kayembe) – Current needs for Bondo include achieving authorization from MERA to initiate scheme, testing at the generator house, and adding connections to new customers. Nevertheless around 150 homes have now been connected and the Conlog meters are to be installed soon.
- WASHTED (Kelvin Tembo) – 4 Solar PV project installations are underway with the first at Gumbwa primary school and health post complete. They are engaging with District Health Office and District Education Managers to establish an additional support channel for projects.
- Concern Universal (Yamungu Botha) – Current projects include 3 community power houses to provide community charging capability in Balaka. Future work will include training local artisans as repairmen, addressing any broken systems, and looking to engage district level policy holders.
Meeting minutes and presentation available for download here: